Twitter gives everyone the power to create and share ideas and information instantly – it’s a tool that should be most definitely utilised by both PR professionals and brands.
With over 316 million users engaging with more than 500 million tweets per day, it is a powerful platform for brand building, disseminating information quickly and engaging with target audiences on a personal level. Here are a few tips to increase your Twitter following and take advantage of the vast access to the audience available:
1. Follow more people. People will generally follow back, therefore increasing your own visibility.
2. Post regularly and consistently – daily. Twitter moves rapidly, so your tweets can get lost in the feed. Tweets have a life span of about 18 minutes, so space the timing, rather than bursts, to catch new audiences.
3. Use links. Tweets with links are proven to get more retweets.
4. Use images. Tweets with images have a higher engagement rate.
5. Hashtag. Relevant hashtags will attract new followers to your profile.
6. Tweet after hours and during office hours. Tweets have a higher engagement rate on weekends than during the week. You can use tools like Hootsuite to schedule posts for nights and weekends.
7. Mention and tag relevant influential users. You might catch their eye and get a retweet.
8. Engage with others users. Whether a retweet, comment or favourite, get involved with other users.
9. Pin a great tweet to the top of your stream.
10. Always reply to questions.